Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tom Izzo on college sports ills

Michigan State Coach Tom Izzo spoke recently at a function and one of the topics covered was the money coaches makes versus zero for the student-athleties:
"Yeah, I have," he said. "There was a time I said to my wife, 'It's almost ridiculous.' But then there are the problems you have to deal with. I used to think I made too much. Now, I think I don't make enough because the social media added so many significant problems..."
And about the freedom coaches have to move about while student-athletes are penalized:
"Maybe that should be stricter, too, if you want the truth," Izzo said. "I don't move much so that's easy for me to say. But I don't think we can harp on one rule and not abide by the same one. We are into it now where nobody is fighting through any adversity, including fans and media, to be honest with you..."
The entire NCAA system is like a rudderless vessel. Nobody really has control on the inside and everyone on the outside wants to be captain because they are right.

Yes, he who has the gold, rules, but please, please, just don't ever mess up the Big Dance. No amount of money is worth doing that. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment