Saturday, October 6, 2012

It's the court and the field for Porter

It's unusual to employ a baseball term for a football and basketball student-athlete but Mission High and San Francisco Rebel player Antoine Porter is a doubly effective switch-hitter.

 A former running back who is directing the offense at quarterback this season, and a point guard in the winter, the 5-foot-9 Porter welcomes the challenge of performing in those dual roles of responsibility.

How's the gridiron portion working out? In a recent 46-13 triumph over Lowell, Porter went 12-20 passing for three endzone strikes and 260 total yards while running for 104 yards. He also has a 96-yard kickoff return to his credit this season.

Mission of San Francisco took the San Francisco Academic Athletic Association championship in 2011-12 and is hoping to repeat. The offense features Porter operating in spread and shotgun offenses.

According to Porter, the offensive approach changes from week to week.

"What I do best is figuring out what will work and taking advantage of it. We look at film, have our week of practice and make adjustments during the game," Porter explained.

As for his best gridiron moment, it's "winning the championship last year. We made history because Mission hadn't won the championship in 57 years."

With basketball both club team and high school, "I play the same role -- it's leading the team and making sure teammates are in the spots they need to be in," Porter explained.

He added, "My defense is my best skill. I take pride in not letting the other team score. It prevents them from getting momentum."

What he is working the most on is "developing my offensive game, my mid-range and three-point shot."

What's fascinating in Porter's situation is it's his little brother whom he credits as his biggest basketball influence.

"My brother blossomed early, I blossomed late. He pushed me to push myself harder.'

Porter also has a very interesting take on what he has drawn the most from his club team travels.

"Going to the tournaments around the country exposed me to so many things that I hadn't been exposed to before. You learn there are so many kids trying hard to get to the next level."

Looking at himself when he first entered Mission, Porter said "As a freshman, I was going to fast. Now, I've developed more of a thinking style, not rushing everything. I look to take advantage of weaknesses. It like a whole different mentality."

In the approaching season, it's Porter and fellow backcourter Kevin Murray who will carry the team. "We're three-year starters and know what to expect. We'll be in  a teaching phase in the beginning [with the younger guys] helping them develop."

Mission finished 23-11 overall last season, 13-3 in league. Porter finished at 11 points, 4.8 assists and 3.9 rebounds per game.

Porter is on target academically -- "I'm taking all the required classes and have a 3.0 grade point average."

As for moving on to the collegiate level, Porter is wide open. As he put it, "whatever sport brings the best offer to go the furthest educationally."

San Francisco Rebel Coach is effusive in his praise of Porter.

"Antione is just a natural leader -- always calm under pressure and never is afraid to make the big play. He is also always working on his craft as you can find him in the gym late at night putting up shots on the machine. Antoine wants to make his family proud and, more importantly, he wants to prove to the critics and doubters that say San Francisco AAA league is watered down. There is talent, and he wants to prove them wrong. He has traveled around this country and played in the biggest of tournaments and against the nations best. The one thing I have never questioned was Antoine's heart. He will be a great find for someone on the next level. He just has it in him."

Ford added, "I'm often hard on my point guards for the Rebels. Antione came to us in the sixth grade and didn't excel right away. There were times I said this kid may not be ready for me as a coach. But he just kept putting in the work and time. Soon I knew he would run through a wall for me. He just wants to impress all the time. His mom, dad, and myself has a saying, 'during the season, he's your son! After the season he's back ours!'"

Ford concluded with, "He finds time to give back to the community. He volunteers as a pee wee basketball coach on the weekends and also finds time to work with the younger Rebels point guards on their games. I won't get another kid like Antione. The time he puts in the gym and the fire that burns his belly will be forever be unmatched. It will definitely be different not having him on the court with me next season. This kid is destined to make it."

Below is a 2012 Porter basketball video:

No comments:

Post a Comment