Sunday, September 27, 2009

Eagles to fly with Frye?

With Salesian and St. Mary's in the role of Bay Shore League boys basketball big brothers and St. Joseph's also a tough opponent, the Kennedy (Richmond) High Eagles (16-13 overall, 6-6 in league) always seem to face a set of formidable conference brethren. The task of challenging these goliaths in 2009-2010 will fall primarily upon the shoulders of senior Thomas Frye -- it's a plus they are broad and powerful.

Frye is one of those anomalies in that he is a high schooler already possessing a college-ready body -- he stands 6-foot-4, muscular and athletic, so the physical assets are in place for the next level.

He is also confident about his basketball skills, listing "my dribbling, passing and shooting" as his best talents.

But is the so-called intangibles he supplies from which Frye derives the greatest pleasure. "My leadership skills have ticked up so much since my freshman year," Frye said. "I understand about taking charge and being a role model. Plus, when we [the Bay Area Hoosiers] were in a tournament [the Take 5ive Classic] in Cincinnati this summer, I saw how many kids were trying to get to the next level and it hit me how work ethic plays such a big factor."

Frye must have took that to heart because he exploded for 28 points in a game against the powerful Baltimore Select squad. This in addition to his always strong defensive play and everpresent high motor.

There's also another factor that drives Frye. When his grandmother passed (she helped raise him), there was a short period of confusion. "I got lost for a minute," Frye said.

But the loss eventually made him stronger.

His best basketball moment is also quite telling. He explained, "It was in the eighth grade up against older players and I scored 23 points. That was the last time my grandmother was able to come see me play."

Frye's most persistent recruiting suitors are Texas Christian, UC Riverside, Portland, Portland State and Eastern Washington. "I am looking for somewhere I can go to get a good education in a good environment where I fit in." His father, Tommy Frye Sr., has offered his son this advice: "I want him to love where he will be going to school because he might end up living there. It doesn't need to be close to home. It's no problem if I have to come visit him."

He added about his son, "I always knew he had a certain drive, that there was something special, different about him."

Frye Sr. also has high praise for the Hoosiers organization and Philippe Doherty in particular. "Coach D is a nice guy and really focuses on skill development. His workouts are intense and he teaches you how to get better and be prepared for the game which translates into being ready for life."

The younger Frye is looking to major in the medical field but isn't quite sure of a specific position. "But I would like it to be one working with kids," according to Frye.

He specifically included "God, my Dad, my brother Alantae, my grandmother, Uncles Boo, Jugg and E Dub plus all my other uncles" as people he wanted to thank for helping him become who he is today.

His goals for the coming season: "I want me and my team to get better and go further."

Maybe for this season, Frye and the Eagles can change their nickname to "David and the Slingshots."

No comments:

Post a Comment