Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Shot Science featured again

The Shot Science staff also recently received full-length coverage in the local newspaper:

Curtiss family teaching science of shooting on YouTube
Ryan Moses
Santa Cruz Sentinel
1/30/2010

When I have a question, I often turn to YouTube. The internet video site has taught me everything from guitar chords to how to make the world's best scrambled eggs. I've also learned that a goat is capable of walking across a tight rope with a monkey on its head [sometimes I ask some strange questions].

So when I started playing basketball again for the first time since middle school, I turned to my internet teacher for a lesson on how to improve my severely rusty jumper. I soon found that a lot of people have a lot of different tips on the "right" way to put the ball in the hoop. A search for "jump shot" yielded 57,600 results.

It was a bit overwhelming. Luckily, somebody told me a local basketball coach had released a series of YouTube videos with lessons on shooting fundamentals and other basketball skills.

The series is called Shot Science, and it's produced by Soquel High boys assistant coach Tom Curtiss and his sons, Chase and Casey. Tom has been coaching football and basketball since 1961, including more than 25 years courtside, and has been teaching individual and group clinics on his backyard court since 2002. He has quietly helped develop some of the best players to come through the county in recent years, including 2007 Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League MVP Scott Krueger of San Lorenzo Valley High and current standouts Shayne Perryman and Robby Gibbs of St. Francis, Mitch Postle of Harbor, and Zen Maki and Taylor Kientzel of Santa Cruz...

Go here for the remainder.

No comments:

Post a Comment