Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Meet Jason Maples

 photo by George Morin

Jason Maples is a third-year assistant working with Contra Costa College Coach Miguel Johnson. But as a youngster, entering the coaching field wasn't a consideration for him -- although the appropriate personal elements were always there -- because his vision of the future, like that of so many others, was all about playing.

So how did his hoops journey bring him to CCC?

He entered organized hoops at age nine. Later on at Berkeley High, Maples played for the late Michael Gragnani.

He took time off after high school before being 'discovered' working out in the weight room at Contra Costa College by Johnson. After a successful stint as a Comet basketballer, including being an All-Conference selection, Maples headed down to Bethany University in Scotts Valley (outside of Santa Cruz) to earn his degree and play shooting guard and wing for Coach Andrew Snelgrove.

"When you're young, you never think about coaching," Maples explained. This despite, at least for him, positions of leadership captaining his high school, community college and four-year college teams.

As Maples put it, "I'm loud and I'm talkative. I always tried hard and gave it my all. I may not have been the most skilled guy but no one ever questioned my heart and effort. With leadership comes responsibility and I accepted that."

Also, playing defense was "my calling card as a player" and that focus certainly registers high on the core principles appropriate for entering the coaching ranks.

Currently attending University of Phoenix in working for his Master's Degree, Maples teaches pre-school and kindergarten in El Cerrito in addition to his position at CCC (hey, just wait for the other coaches in the Bay Valley Conference to claim that's an unfair early recruiting advantage).

Speaking of his work at CCC, Maples said, "I'm learning a lot and Coach Johnson -- he's the captain of the ship -- is allowing me to put my imprint on the team."

Continuing on, Maples offered "the first couple of years were tough because I'm young (he turned 27 last month) but my authority is established. Coach Johnson always stresses 'these are my assistant coaches so when they talk, it's me talking.'"

But his youthfulness also has advantages.

"In reaching out to local guys, they relate to me because I'm not too far removed. I can say I played for Coach Johnson and got a scholarship."

Maples explained the recruiting processes in pursuing players for the community college level.

"Certain guys you know but we also wait for test scores and grade point averages and also do background research about family situations."

Regarding the future, one position in particular is dear to Maples' heart.

"My dream is to go back to my alma mater (Berkeley High) and coach. But I'm also willing to reach for the highest level possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment