Friday, February 22, 2013

McGlaston going from Gael to Aggie

Whether it was going for 40 against against Miramonte and 31 points versus both Freedom and Campolindo, the alley-oop dunks or the off-the-charts athletic ability or the entire package, Dublin High's JoJo McGlaston received an offer from a Mountain West Conference-to-be school known for winning and decided home sweet home would next be in the Beehive State.

Ranked #15 in the NorCalPreps 2013 rankings, the 6-foot-4 McGlaston is headed to Utah State which makes its debut in the Mountain West Conference (MWC) next season. The Aggies perennial win the Western Athletic Conference they are departing and are looking for talent and athletic upgrades as the MWC is going to be a step up.

Why Coach Stew Morrill and Logan, Utah?

 "It was great out there," McGlaston explained. "The coaches stayed loyal and real with me and the players took me in and accepted me. It was like a big bond of brotherly love.."

He also added, "Utah State joining the Mountain West Conference is important."

McGlaston found the people he met as "real friendly" and maybe, just maybe, the fans at the game he attended put Utah State over the top.

As McGlaston described it, they "chanted 'future Aggie, future Aggie' at me, showing me love."

Most fans aren't even aware when a recruit is on a visit, let alone perform some serenading. Utah State fans are known for their creative loyalty.

So what will McGlaston bring to his new team?

"Definitely my scoring and athletic ability."

The Aggies have no one on their roster remotely close to McGlaston's running and jumping talent. Additionally, the Utah State roster lists two wings, period, who will be seniors next season.

He is looking to major in business and economics, attracted to those because "so many players in the NBA don't know how to spend their money right and those classes will help in not making that mistake."

But why did McGlaston end up affiliated with the roundball? If there is such a thing as preordainment, call it that as he offered, "in the McGlaston family tree, my sister played basketball at San Jose State, my Dad coached at Alameda and my brother played at St. Joseph's."

But in looking back, he recalls that all was not an easy path

"As a freshman, I didn't play a lot. I was small, like 6-foot-1, 150 pounds. Guys were older and bigger than me. But I never thought I was better than anyone else and took the time to work and improve."

What's especially charming is his response when asked about his best moment in basketball. He responded, "It was in fifth grade playing CYO basketball at St. Isadore. We were down by two and I hit a bankshot three to win the game."

Unfortunately, no videotape is available to see if he called it.

No comments:

Post a Comment