Monday, October 28, 2013

Interesting look at the landing of Zylan Cheatham

Mark Ziegler digs deeper into San Diego State's Zylan Cheatham recruitment. Some snippets:
...Then [Malik] Pope became the highest-rated prep commitment in SDSU history, and opposing coaches began telling Cheatham that the Aztecs were so loaded he might never see the floor.

“When (Pope) committed, it did raise some red flags at first,” said Cheatham, who prefers to play on the wing with the ball in his hands. “I was thinking, ‘They’ve got a lot of guards.” I felt like there weren't a lot of ball-handling minutes left...”
and
...What might have swung things back in the Aztecs’ favor: A trip to Phoenix after practice last Tuesday by Coach Steve Fisher and the entire Aztecs coaching staff.

“They explained everything,” Cheatham said. “They showed me film of how they use their players, how they get them the ball. Coach (Justin) Hutson made a really good point: ‘Why are we recruiting you so hard, why would Coach Fisher be leaving practice, if we didn't think you fit in with us?’

“And then Coach Fisher said something. He said: “When you close your eyes and dream at night, where do you see yourself?’ That overwhelmed me. That basically took over the process for me ... When I was there on my visit, I never forgot that feeling I had. It felt like home. I just knew it was the right place for me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment