Thursday, March 26, 2015

Meet Troy Anderson

A glue guy isn't the right description for San Joaquin Delta College's (SJDC) Troy Anderson. He is that because he will proficiently do whatever it takes for his team to succeed but he is quite the rebounder, defender and also someone who can score.

The 6-foot-5 Anderson averaged 16.0 points and 12.9 rebounds -- a double-double game in, game out -- as well as 3.1 shotblocks and 2.4 steals a contest in the 2014-15 Mustang season which earned him deserved membership on the All State team.

Yet when asked why he chose SJDC out of Armijo High, the answer was, to say the least, surprising. "They were the only junior college trying to recruit me." Yet Anderson was an all-league player as a senior, a double digit scorer and obviously a prime time athlete. But not to truncate his response, he also explained,"SJDC was real serious about academics and I fit in with the coach [Rick Ressa]. He is strict which is what I liked."

Anderson understands what achieving success takes, both on and off the court. He knew he wanted to be ready after two years so he went with a program that held the student-athlete description in high regard. With basketball, "I've improved so much. I put in the time and my coaches put in the time."

Ask him what he sees as his best basketball skill and, rather than offering an element based on his highlight statistics, Anderson said, "My basketball intelligence. I see the bigger picture on the court." How did he develop that? "I've been playing since I was four. I'm versatile. You can use me down low or coming off a screen and catching the ball at the foul line for a dribble-drive."

Probably the best take about his sense of self is this: "I bring defense and rebounds. I don't ever expect to score a lot."

His father played football, a wide receiver in particular. "My Dad was a football player but he knows about basketball. He was my AAU coach."

A query regarding what he sees as his best basketball moment highlights his forthrightness. "It was last December 21, a home game against City College of San Francisco." One in which he enjoyed 26 points and 20 rebounds in the 69-65 victory but he prefaced his answer with "I had a couple of bad games before that."

Looking to major in the business and marketing area, Anderson will be making the decision on his next destination in the month of April. The winning suitor will be landing a very well grounded high flier.

No comments:

Post a Comment