Friday, May 8, 2015

Meet Sabrena Hernandez

Sabrena Hernandez is both a student at San Joaquin Delta College and a student employee in the athletics department. Mustang athletes past and present should be very thankful for her work in publicizing their efforts.

She has also designed a social media workshop to educate student-athletes in the responsibilities of being on-line. Her Twitter account is @itssabrena which primarily focuses on social media, sports and tips for student athletes how to use social media. The San Joaquin Delta College men's basketball account which she operates is @SJDCbasketball

Her daughter will turn one on May 10 and she stressed, "having her at a young age has impacted my plan of what I wanted to do as you can imagine. However I believe that I am a good example to young mothers being that I have not given up and my career and educations plans have remained the same."

Her father, Eddie Hernandez, is a longtime basketball coach in the area and teaches at Tokay High as well as being an assistant to Delta Coach Rich Ressa. "My dad's coaching has influenced my decision on what I do and how I plan to help student athletes in the future."

Below is a Q-and-A with her:

Q: Did you play any sport(s) while in high school? If so, why this or that one?

SH: In high school I played basketball because I had been around it my whole life and started playing in third grade. Basketball is the game I know better than any other and enjoyed playing it. My sophomore year I decided to play golf, I thought it would be a good idea to take up a lifetime sport and it was conveniently at the same time as basketball conditioning haha. Golf taught me a lot about patience, and honesty. It is much more fun than people think once you know the game.


Q: What is your job title with the athletics department?

SH: When I applied for the job it was Sports Marketer, however my duties range from creating media guides, to researching school records so I just say I work for athletics and do a little bit of everything! 


Q: How did you get involved with Delta athletics?

SH: I have always been around Delta sports, and I have helped work their snack bar since I was a kid. I have always had an idea of what I wanted to do and one day Coach Ressa (our basketball coach) came to me and said that the dean of athletics was looking for a student who was interested in sports marketing or sports media. When I had my interview I brought my binder I used for my senior project in high school which was on female sports reporters. I was hired on the spot.


Q: Please talk about your current social media workshop project -- what was the genesis? why is it important to you?

SH: My social media workshop is to educate and bring awareness to the dangers of social media for student athletes. We see celebrities and professional athletes get in trouble all the time for things they have said on the internet but athletes at the high school and college level sometimes forget they are being watched and monitored as well. I have done months of research speaking to social media experts from the NCAA, and the top athletics programs in the country. I am currently putting it all together to present to Delta’s football team and local high school athletes this summer. Social media is something that is not going to go away, and student athletes need to understand that something they say on twitter could result in a major punishment for them. This is important to me because it is very important to me that our student athletes succeed. I know how hard they have worked to get to the position they are in, and for them to lose everything they have worked for because of something they posted online is devastating. 


Q: Will you also be involved with athletics once you arrive at Sacramento State?

SH: Yes, when I start school there in the fall I will be trying to work with their athletics.


Q: What will you be majoring in?

SH: I will be majoring in Communications, Public Relations. 


Q: Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

SH: 10 years from now I will have a Master’s degree, hopefully a Ph.D and be working for a division 1 college as a director of Communications, or director of media relations. I hope to be presenting my workshop to student athletes everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment