Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Introducing Lewis Hayes

Ask most northern California prep basketball fans about Lewis Hayes and, other than some living in the Stockton area, a shrug will probably be the response.

For the record, Hayes just graduated from Chavez High, stands 6-foot-5 and 240 plus he averaged 17.5 points and 9.0 rebounds a contest as a senior. He was honored as San Joaquin Athletic Association Co-Most Valuable Player because of his play.

Now, such anonymity is about to change because, in November, he'll be taking to the court for Merritt College.

Here's Thunderbird Coach Keenan McMiller about his underappreciated newcomer: "Lewis has a opportunity to be a special player here at Merritt College. He is a humble, kind, likeable young man. He's very skilled with very solid footwork. I look forward to helping Lewis get in better shape, improve is jump shooting, overall tenacity and aggressiveness on the court. I want to continue to motivate and push him in the classroom. I am excited to work with Lewis -- he will be a force to deal with this season and in the future."

Why Merritt? "I went on a couple of visits to other schools then I committed on my first visit to Merritt . It felt right and comfortable. Coach McMiller has my best interests in mind just like my high school coach [Mack Harris]."

And what about this lack of recognition? "It messes with me a lot. Not being too cocky or selfish but  I look at myself as a player. Maybe my high school was too small or my city. I wasn't in Sacramento or the Bay Area. So it put a chip on my shoulder. But my day will come as the first shall be last and the last shall be first."

However, it was first baseball as Hayes' favorite participatory sport. Then, "my  Grandma took me to a game and my Dad bought me a court [one of those basketball hoops and poles] and I began staying out there for hours. I dropped baseball."

Another critical influence was "my high school coach Mack Harris took me under his wing as a freshman-sophomore." That bond continues and is even stronger now.

In recounting his progress on the court, Hayes explained, "from my freshman year to now, it's mainly been a change in my mindset. I had a long way to go as a freshman. I didn't take it seriously. But by my junior year I realized I was legit."

Asked to describe his best basketball moment, Hayes offered, "that's easy, it was senior night. A lot of stuff had been happening -- I had lost a friend of mine, Alvin Joiner, in a car accident in January and I was always thinking about it. He played as a freshman and stayed around basketball. He was kind of inspiration for the season. During the game, we learned the team in first place in our league was down to another team (they eventually lost). I don't know what came over me but we went on a run in the third quarter and I finished with 41 points and 17 rebounds. We won league."

Hayes is looking to major in communications. "I want to be a broadcaster. I love to talk." Add and produce on the court, incognito or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment