Monday, July 25, 2016

Not fitting the profile

"Jeremy Lin opens up: On Knicks heartbreak, racism and Fitzpatrick" -- Steve Serby

"Q: Do you still encounter racism?

A: There’s gonna be racism everywhere I go, and some of it’s more subtle, some of it’s less malicious. I mean, every day there’s guys with certain stereotypes or whatever, and it’s not just me. But yeah, I still go through it.

Q: How do you handle it?

A: I just shake it off, it’s not a big deal. Sometimes the stuff people might say or tweet or comment, really racist things, but that doesn’t bother me like it used to. I still get stopped when I try to go through away arenas and stuff, and I’m walking with my teammates, and obviously none of them are Asian but I’m the only one that gets stopped, and they ask for my credentials, stuff like that. “Hey, we need your credentials,” or “Are you part of the team?” Stuff like that. But I really don’t let it affect me. … I’m so used to it now. It doesn’t bother me"

One would think that the Linsanity period would have eliminated this episode of profiling but a few seem to have somehow missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment