Friday, August 24, 2012

Nelson coming on

A feature on Eric Nelson right around the time of the Olympics is synchronicity at its finest as there are so very few who can move and jump as well as the 6-foot-7 Merritt College sophomore.

Nelson has always shown superb athletic ability, establishing that fact back in his days at El Cerrito High.

After averaging 5.1 points a game as a Thunderbird frosh on 51% and 76% shooting, corralling 230 rebounds and swatting away 92 shots in 29 games, he's expanding his game.

"I still play defense -- it's my best skill." he acknowledged. "It gets my whole team pumped and is a momentum changer. But I'm better as a scorer and passer and also a leader" as the Thunderbirds head into the new season come November.

Evident of his impact during games, Nelson was invited to participate in the Jerry Mullen Top 100 JUCO Camp in St. Louis  last month. "We played three games a day and I think  I played well." That provided national exposure for Nelson and one school Coppin State in Maryland, has already offered. The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference member signed former Chico High star Sterling Smith in April so the ties to California are there for the Eagles coaching staff.

Asked who has been his biggest basketball influence, Nelson replied, "Kevin Durant. "I watched him from when he was at Texas. He's slim and long, the same body type as me. I think if he can do it, so can I."

Academically, there is no concern as Nelson was a qualifier coming out of high school and maintains a 3.3 grade point average. His graduation date will be

Why the emphasis on the classroom?

"Academics can take you further than basketball," he explained. "You can't put all your eggs in one basket."

Nelson is looking to major in business accounting at the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment