Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Found this article on Philippe Doherty of the Bay Area Hoosiers

Here's an older article on Philippe Doherty, the Director of Basketball Operations for the Bay Area Hoosiers club team. We couldn't find a link to it so we're posting the complete article, which we consider a must-read.
AAU at its finest
Justin Adler
http://www.goazcatsblog.com
May 14, 2008


At first Bay Area Hoosiers' coach Philippe Doherty appears to be like many other AAU coaches as he paces up and down the sideline, screaming like a frenzied maniac at his team. But upon watching him closer it becomes obvious that their is a great deal of method to his madness.

Doherty prides himself and his team on being one of the most respectful and loyal squads in the AAU circuit.

"If we're the only team in the country that cleans our benches after games, shakes our officials' hand and shakes the tournament director's hand than I shouldn't be different that should be the way it is," Doherty said.

Just as Doherty expects his players to Doherty leaves everything on the court as he coaches.

"My energy is the only way I know. I work out guys a lot, I have to get guys going and I carry that over to the floor," Doherty said. "My style is positive yet structured. It's a reactionary game and I don't want them to rely on my enthusiasm or energy, but I want them to make sure that the moment that they are playing is extremely important. It takes a lot of focus."

Doherty's positivity-driven coaching style was the result of his experience playing at Santa Clara University.

"The only reason I'm in coaching is because my first day in college, the assistant coach was negative for no reason," Doherty said. "It almost took my whole confidence away and to that day I promised myself that when I coach I am going to try to be positive almost every second of the day.

I'll always remember the exact words that were said to me, the day of the practice and the time of day. It changed my life. I was a very positive and confident kid who was trying as hard as I could against two pros and it wasn't enough for someone," Doherty said.

Doherty took much more from his Santa Clara experience as he played for coach Dick Davey, who he describes as an "unbelievable human being." Doherty also played alongside two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash and former Boston Celtic Marlon Garnett.

Before coaching the Bay Area Hoosiers Daugherty coached his high school alma mater Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep and also worked on the University of San Francisco coaching staff.

"I don't want to be a reactionary coach, like when someone messes up, I don't yell "Why'd you screw up!" like he meant to screw up," Doherty said. "On the next play I just make sure they don't sulk, don't pout and don't let that affect their game."

He also credits his upbringing for making him the man and coach he is today. Doherty was born in France, and spent the first seven years of his life growing up in West Africa before moving to San Francisco as a child.

"I grew up in San Francisco a little bit different," Doherty said. "These kids are so spoiled and so lucky to play AAU ball. They have to be humble (when they get home) the first call goes to mom, the second phone call goes to our team owner to thank him for the opportunity."

Doherty also enforces morals in his team as he prohibits them from cussing, using the n-word and wearing hats indoors. He also sets a standard by making sure his entire coaching staff wears matching clothes with the shirts tucked in.

Off the court Doherty is constantly communicating with his team via e-mail with educational articles on nutrition, motivation, education and other important fundamentals that will help them prepare for college."I want these kids to value the moment, you never know who's watching, be as good to as many people as you can," Doherty said. "If you're just in it for a pair of shoes, you can go somewhere else."

No comments:

Post a Comment