Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Meet Jordan Whittenburg

As far as we know there is no hoops Cupid flitting around firing off arrows and 'infecting' a love of basketball into those on the receiving end. No, the affinity for roundball is something organically developed and with no known antidote. Once coursing through human veins, it's a lifelong blessing or curse.

New Las Positas College (LPC) Assistant Coach Jordan Whittenburg sees such strictly as the former and is thankful for such.

His moment of contagion was watching the film "Space Jam" which featured Michael Jordan. "I was a little kid and he became kind of my hero."

And that was that.

+++++++

The Whittenburg File:

* Berean Christian High School
* Los Medanos College
* Northwest Christian University (Eugene, OR) (two-year starter, second in school history for most three-pointers made, scored over 1000 points)
* Tualatin Rainmakers, Northern Athletic Basketball League (semi-pro player)

* Assistant coach, Northwest Christian University
* Assistant coach, University High (San Francisco)
* Founder, Green Light Basketball Academy (Walnut Creek)


+++++++

"I see coaching as the best way to give back, to share what I know," Whittenburg explained.  

It was a period of time when he was sidelined that initially gave him exposure to working with youngsters. "I suffered an Achilles tendon injury as a freshman at Los Medanos College." While he was rehabilitating, "I helped coach at Berean Christian High. What I enjoyed the most was seeing kids get better because I shared something with them."

Whittenburg continued, "I had a great relationship with my high school coach, Don Menez. I looked up to him as a leader. He pushed me harder than anyone and was rough on me at times, but it ultimately made me better and tougher. He had a big impact on me as a player and in my personal development and I want to have that same kind of impact on the players I coach."

Now he's repping Coach James Giacomazzi and Las Positas College and wearing a lot of hats. About his new boss, Whittenburg offered, "he is a tireless worker, always on the go to better the program. I have a lot to learn from him."

Right after being hired, "I was in Modesto for a basketball tournament one day and the next day I was at Las Positas College showing a recruit around the campus. Coaching is not for the faint of heart, it's demanding and 24 hours a day. There's always something to be doing."    

Whittenburg is grateful that his former coach at Los Medanos, Derek Domenichelli, vouched for him during the LPC interview process. "The Bay Area is my home. My family is in Walnut Creek and my girlfriend's family is in the Bay Area." He's now at the home of the Hawks, ready, willing and able to contribute to the cause of elevating Las Positas College basketball.

Whittenburg's Northwest Christian highlights from 2008-2009:




No comments:

Post a Comment