Thursday, April 27, 2017

Chaffee Jr. to the Volunteer State

6-foot-8 Stokley Chaffee Jr. a-v-e-r-a-g-e-d a double-double this season at Las Positas College -- 13.0 points plus 10.4 rebounds -- and that production has garnered him a scholarship to Tennessee State University for next season.

Why the decision to head to Nashville? "I chose Tennessee State because it felt like the best fit for me. I talked with the coach and looked at the program and I believe I can excel and that Coach Dana Ford wants the best for me." Academics were also important to him -- "I'll be majoring in computer science."

The process of his recruitment demonstrated the value of reaching out. "My recruiting was kind of different. I sent out a highlight tape late and Tennessee State was one of the first to express interest. Tape was definitely my gateway. It was overwhelming at times because it all came at one time."

Chaffee's aunt and uncle accompanied him on his recruiting visit. His uncle purchased his own ticket since NCAA rules allow payment for just one adult to accompany a recruit. The feedback from them? "They liked the area and really enjoyed coach and my aunt was impressed that Tennessee State is a historically black college."

What will Tiger fans be witnessing from Chaffee next season? "My big thing is I have a strong motor. I have a will to win and will fight for everything. I have good rebounding ability and a lot of experience because of being at USF as a freshman and then Las Positas."

Right now, Chaffee is the second tallest player on theTigers' roster and he expects to be positioned as a three-four combination.

For helping him get to where he is today, Chaffee thanked "first God, my Aunt Aleshia and Uncle Kevin, my Mom and cousins, my friends, and my coaches because they helped a lot."

No comments:

Post a Comment