Monday, August 23, 2010
The upcoming Nor Cal Clash
The upcoming Nor Cal Clash (NCC) at Contra Costa College in San Pablo is an opportunity for some long-simmering arguments, suppositions, biases, you name it -- and this is just among prep basketball fans -- to be settled.
The Sunday, August 29 event pitting the top flight gladiators of the class of 2011 versus their upstart 2012 brethren should go a long ways towards answering the age-old question: does seniority rule?
This will also be the first local opportunity to see junior David Andoh back on the court as well as the initial time to witness -- at least for most -- what highly rated 2012 Fresno area prospect Robert Upshaw can do on the floor at 6-foot-10. 6-foot-6 senior J.T. Adenrele is also a newbie to most Bay Area basketball fans as is 6-foot-7 Chad Haysbert. Both are out of the Sacramento area. Fast-rising Juan Anderson will be on display for a preview of what should be a tremendous senior season.
The individual matchups will also be intriguing for a number of other reasons including the fact that high school and club team basketball teammates, separated by a year in school, will oppose each other.
Here are the rosters:
* J.T. Adenrele, 6-foot-6, Oakmont High
* Hameed Ali, 6-foot-2, San Leandro High
* Juan Anderson, 6-foot-7, Castro Valley High
* Roderick Bobbitt, 6-foot-2, Castro Valley
* Robert Garrett, 6-foot-10, Sacramento High
* Chad Haysbert, 6-foot-7, Antelope High
* Andre McPhail, 6-foot-7, Deer Valley High
* Quincy Smith, 6-foot-2, Deer Valley High (now out with a hand injury)
* Dominique Taplin, 6-foot-2, Oakland High
* T.J. Taylor, 5-foot-9, Oakland High
* Mark Tollefsen, 6-foot-8, San Ramon Valley High
* Stuart Wesonga. 6-foot-7, San Marin High
* David Andoh, 6-foot-7, St. Mary's
* Dominic Artis, 5-foot-9, Salesian High
* Glenn Baral, 6-foot-3, St. Mary's High
* Taylor Johns, 6-foot-4, Sacred Heart Cathedral
* Tajai Johnson, 6-foot-2, Vallejo High
* Richard Longruss, 6-foot-6, Bishop O'Dowd
* Langston Morris-Walker, 6-foot-4, Berkeley High
* Casey Norris, 6-foot-1, Newark Memorial
* Lawrence Otis, 6-foot-2, McClymonds
* Kyiron Thomas, 6-foot-3, Sheldon High
* Robert Upshaw, 6-foot-11, San Joaquin Memorial
Another Gerry Freitas-run event, this year's NCC also features quite the coaching pairing. Craig Ashmore of Newark Memorial will match strategy with Manny Nodar of St. Mary's. Both helmed teams that played in the state championship games last March.
Nor Cal Clash
Sunday, August 29, 5:30 p.m.
Contra Costa College, San Pablo