Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cones goes with the Lumberjacks

Drew Cones was sidelined by a foot injury in the midst of a solid freshman season at Los Medanos College. Some would have surrendered to pity because of the missed opportunity but the 5-foot-10 backcourter dug in and came back even stronger.

Try to the tune of 18.0 points, 3.9 assists and 3.3 rebounds a night in 2013-14 while shooting a smoking 49% overall, 49% from beyond the arc and 84% at the foul line. His production earned him a spot on the Bay Valley All Conference squad.

That output has earned him a scholarship to Humboldt State University (HSU), a member of the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

Why the choice of the Lumberjacks?

"They were the first to contact me and called all the time," Cones recalled. "It felt like a family when I visited -- I was treated like a family member."


What HSU fans will be witnessing from him is "always a positive, team first attitude. I'll play any role coach wants me to."

Of course, that's in addition to his basketball skills set. The top three scorers on Coach Steve Kinder's squad return but none reached 40% in long distance shooting accuracy. 

At Humboldt, he will be majoring in kinesiology with the plan of entering sports therapy. But coaching is also something he would like to do so as "to give back to youth."

While at Antioch High, Cones described himself as "a pass-first player" but one who also worked hard on his shooting. "I put in a lot of reps," something he still does to this day. He also captained the team.

Cones' best moment on the court to date comes from his prep days: "as a junior in the league championship game, we were down by four with two minutes to go and I hit two threes and a layup to help us win."

Like with many, he participated in more than one sport growing up. Early on, it was hoops and football -- "but I had more fun and drive at basketball" -- so the gridiron lost out.

Idolizing Chris Paul while growing up, Cones cites his father as his biggest basketball influence-- "definitely my Dad." He also remembers being inspired from watching tapes of his father play in high school.


He wished to thank John Woolery, his sophomore and junior seasons Antioch High coach, because "he helped change my whole game as a player and made me focus more on fundamentals." Plus, "Coach Derek Domenichelli and the Los Medanos College basketball team for believing in me ."


But foremost for Cones is his offering "I would not be the person I've grown to be without the support of God, family and friends through everything."
 

Perseverance in the face of adversity has paid off once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment