Thursday, April 20, 2017

Meet TC Wegner

17.9 points, 10.7 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 2.3 steals a game summarizes the work this season of Westmont High's TC Wegner, a 6-foot-4 guard who was named Junior of the Year in the Blossom Valley Athletic League West Division in San Jose.

Besides his very impressive scoring and rebounding totals, one other number highlights the toughness of his play: 221 free throw attempts in 25 games.

When asked to name his top basketball skills, Wegner said, "my versatility in slashing to the basket and either kicking or finishing." He also offered, "my off-the -ball movement, my rebounding, and hustling is one of my better skills."

West Valley Basketball Club Coach Bob Bramlett said this about his new backcourter, "TC is a rare player who is capable of playing more than one position and being very effective at it. What impresses us the most is his uncanny way of getting to the basket and recognizing what to do with the basketball. I would assure you that his proficiency rate is very high in terms of possessions and scores. He is selfless and very humble yet he plays with a high degree of intensity. Adding him to our team improves WVB and he is already garnering attention from college coaches."

Like so many, Wegner played a lot of sports while growing up. He ended up where he is due to one simple reason -- "because I liked basketball enough that I was willing to practice it."

That and a trio of early coaches who he credits for aiding the development of his basketball IQ -- Craig Paulsen, Craig Ellegood, currently the head coach at Cupertino High and Toby Suttle, who most recently headed the program at Del Mar High.

Wegner noted a trio of accomplishments are his top basketball moments to date. "In my sophomore year, we tied for the league championship (with an 11-3 record). Against undefeated Leigh High this season, we lost by three and I had 29 points and 11 rebounds and then I had 35 and 16 against Prospect High, who beat us earlier."

Moving from his freshman season to the present, Wegner sees an evolution in his game. "I'm definitely a lot more confident, a better playmaker, my jumper has gotten better and I'm a lot tougher."

221 free throws attempts tougher.

No comments:

Post a Comment