Sunday, April 20, 2014

Wormley to the Gators

A latecomer to the world of basketball, Floyd Wormley has just achieved a major accomplishment: getting his college education paid for due to his signing with California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) member San Francisco State University (SFSU).

The 6-foot-7 Yuba College frontcourter, who earned First Team All Bay Valley Conference honors after the 49ers won another conference title and finished 21-6 overall, decided to cast his lot with Coach Paul Trevor.

Why SFSU?

"Because they showed the most interest in me and I liked my visit there."

The bonus is that his decision will now allow multiple opportunities for his family and friends to catch him on the court since the Gators face off annually with Chico State, Cal State Stanislaus, Sonoma State, Cal State East Bay and Humboldt State.

For someone who began playing organized basketball as a high school junior, the surge to a hoops scholarship is all the more remarkable.

Wormley was a football player but added to his sports repertoire with basketball mid-way through his attendance at Highlands High. "I had a growth spurt in the summer after my sophomore year."

But even then his continued participation was no sure thing. There were no plans to further his efforts in college -- "initially I wasn't going to play after high school."

But Wormley's AAU coach at the time "told me to go to Yuba."

That may not have been million dollar advice but reckoning $60,000 or so as the value of such counsel now seems accurate.

Trevor and the Gators finished this season 14-12 overall, with a 12-10 upper division CCAA finish, but a large nucleus is departing including seniors Max Fodor, Nefi Perdomo, Calvin Otiono, Brandon Tatum, Will Overton and Bennie Rhodes. That's six of the top seven scorers and rebounders.

Wormley has been advised "I'll be playing anywhere from the three to the five." He is looking to major in psychology.

Asked what he will bring to his new squad, Wormley said, :Heart and hustle. I have some experience so I'll want to help out my teammates."

He sees his greatest basketball influence being his best friend in high school and fellow basketball player, Eddie Litvinov, actually the top talent on the team then. "He got into a car accident and couldn't walk or talk," Wormley said. "Now he's slowly coming back and I use this for motivation. He would die for such an opportunity."

A query about his best basketball moment was answered with "beating San Francisco City College on their homecourt. With 30 seconds left, I tried to throw the ball off the leg of my opponent but he grabbed it. I then stole it back." Yuba won that game 81-78 back on November 9, the only regular season loss for the Rams.

Yes, it's a little less than two miles distance between San Francisco City College and San Francisco State but it might as well be a million. Wormley understands his popularity won't be extending to Phelan Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment