Saturday, May 10, 2014

Andoh goes with Liberty

What is Liberty University getting in Merritt College frontcourter David Andoh? A 6-foot-8 contributor on the court and a thoughtful student in the classroom. Plus, those on the Virginia campus and in the community are going to appreciate their interactions with this contemplative young man who possesses a depth beyond his years.

So why Liberty, Andoh said "it's a long story. As soon as I got out here (to Merritt), they made contact right away. They pursued me all year, coming out four or five times. I had a great visit and it's where I can compete for playing time right away. They were straight with me, so sincere and so real. They can show me what I need as a person and complement me as a man and a player."

He elaborated: "With San Jose State (where he went as a freshman until a coaching change took place), I took a visit and committed one week later. With Wagner (where he initially planned to transfer to after San Jose), I visited and committed one week later. With Liberty, I wanted something to compare to."

Virginia Tech was also very interested until the head coach was let go and others popped up on the screen throughout the process.

"But with Liberty, they needed me, it wasn't just to fill a spot. They had a vision for me as a person. My life has been adversity filled and I trust the coaches and staff enough. I'm sure enough."

What aided his recent decision is enjoying an earlier relationship with Liberty Assistant Coach Vince Walden. As a high school senior, Andoh attended IMG Academy in Florida (he was at St. Mary's High in Berkeley as a junior) where Walden was his coach.

As Andoh simply and succinctly put it, "My parents trust Coach Vince with my life. College basketball is a business but there is an intimacy to it. I'm a relationship guy."

Asked what will be bring to the program, he replied "a versatile offensive and defensive player with high energy, someone calm and composed who has bought into what it takes to win as a team."

As for his best moment in basketball, he takes the viewpoint different that most.

"After a tough loss, I like to get back in the gym and replay moments from the game. It's so I can translate that into the next game. It's a process for me."

He believes basketball IQ is generated on how you work and on what.

"My workouts [with trainer Tommy Luu] aren't based on how hard you can go or how much you are sweating. We slow it down and pay a lot of attention to detail."

His advice to those on the cusp of college recruiting is "Work hard and do it the right way. It gets hard and frustrating but don't get caught up in the hype. It's a business and coaches have families to feed. You can be a name on a board -- keep that in mind. There is a reason if schools are pressuring you so take your time."

Looking down the road, what does Andoh sees in his future? "I want to be a pro at whatever level. Liberty is that option for me."

For the statistically inclined, Andoh averaged 13.9 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots this season while shooting 54% and 84% for Merritt Coach Keenan McMiller.

Liberty University is a member of the Big South Conference and went to the Big Dance in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment