Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Dorsey to the Seawolves

Stephen Dorsey to Sonoma State. It's one of those items that might simply appear under "Transactions" in the newspaper and left at that. But as usual, there is plenty of background regarding the hows and whys of this decision.

The beginning of sorts is the multi-talented Dorsey amazingly winning the state decathalon championship in May 2013, his freshman year at Monterey Peninsula College (MPC). This after being a high jumper in high school and only venturing into the multi-sport event after the Lobo basketball season concluded. Throwing the discus and javelin as well as the shot put were just a few of the elements completely new to him.

He redshirted both sports last season but has returned to basketball. In five games thus far, the 6-foot-5 Dorsey is averaging 11.6 points and 6.2 rebounds a game while shooting 65% from both the floor and the foul line and his play inside dovetails well with the variety of distance shooters MPC Coach Blake Spiering has at his disposal.

Sonoma State began the courtship during the summer after viewing Dorsey at a couple of regional junior college basketball jamborees.

Dorsey then tripped to Rohnert Park and it became a mutual admiration society. "I loved the environment, the team and the coaching staff," he recalled. "I got a really good vibe."

There was a sense of familiarity as former Lobo Zen Maki is a senior on the Sonoma State team. "I stayed with him and got to meet his roommates and friends. It was fun."

Dorsey then decided to sign on with the Seawolves.

Asked for his best basketball skills, Dorsey offered, "My dunking and my athleticism." He's working on his dribbling and shooting range and has already upgraded his touch at the foul line.

Sonoma State loses forwards Mike Harris and JJ Mina after this season. The pair are usually the top scorers as well as rebounders each game so there will be holes to fill and thus playing time for Dorsey to earn.

Regarding positioning next season, Dorsey said, "I'll be a rim runner -- I can beat most big men down the court." He is also working to develop an elbow jumper.

Here's Sonoma State Coach Pat Fuscaldo on his new guy: "We are really excited about Stephen. He's that kind of player we haven't been able to get ahold of before so we feel blessed to get him up to campus and signed early. We fell in love with him and he fell in love with our campus and our team. Coach Blake played and coached for me and was a great help."

Dorsey will be majoring in sociology with the idea of entering the law enforcement field. "But I want to play overseas first," he explained.

Wanting to thank many for helping him in his achievement -- his mother, father, sisters and relatives -- three others also stood out. "James Miller, my best friend's step dad who was helpful in me finding basketball, Coach Greg [Daniels] at Monterey High and Coach Blake, Without him, this (signing) wouldn't have happened. He's helped me get better and to get a killer mentality which I'm still working on. I've also learned how to be more coachable, taking criticism the right way."

But what about the decathalon? "I'm good at track but I don't have the passion for it like basketball. I love basketball with all my heart." Which is also why the football coaches through the years who envisioned him on the gridiron as say a tight end have come up emptyhanded.

Now maybe if there was a grassy field sport where you dunk a discus in the basket...

No comments:

Post a Comment