Wednesday, February 4, 2015

So what is UC Davis getting with the Joe Schneider verbal?

Joe Schneider was in Davis last weekend, in fact attending the matchup between the Aggies and Cal Poly in which the home team won 81-78 in overtime. You might call that an attractive game to take a recruit.

He must have liked what he witnessed because the 6-foot-1 Schneider soon offered his commitment to return in August to begin school and don a UC Davis basketball uniform.

Coach Jim Les couldn't have scripted it better.

So what was it that sold him on becoming an Aggie?

"I have a great relationship with the coaching staff and they have been talking with me for awhile," Schneider explained. "I also got a good vibe from the team when I met them. So I fell in love and committed."

What will he bring to the program? "I have a passion for the game and getting my teammates involved. I also shoot well. I didn't always have a great shot but did a lot of hard work in the gym."

Leadership is a recurring theme for Schneider.

He also played football as a quarterback but left that sport because "I missed my sophomore season in basketball because of a stress fracture in my back."

Coming out of Lansing, Kansas which is 25 miles northwest of Kansas City, Schneider initially cast his lot with Air Force Academy. Generally, a large number of the freshman basketball signees attend Air Force Prep Academy for a year taking classes but also playing against other teams before moving up. "We had 11 guys on the team and a schedule of about 25 games," Schneider recalled.

But he decided to seek a new destination. The Davis coaching staff had some contact with him prior to his decision to head to Colorado Springs. That interest was rekindled once Schneider departed.

As for his sports influences, Schneider offered, "my brother who is three years older in school, my Dad who played high school football and basketball and my Mom who ran track at Kansas State."

For the sake of clarification, he has four years of eligibility and figures to be playing at the point and the two guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment