Friday, June 10, 2011
Brandon Ashley: stay or go?
Will Brandon Ashley complete high school at Bishop O'Dowd or spend his senior season at Findlay Prep in Nevada?
This question was raised because of a recent point at the PointGuardU site.
But then again, there was this back in July 2010 and it didn't come to fruition.
Now the Ashley family doesn't have us on retainer as a consultant (quite rightfully so) but it's an interesting exercise to try and determine the favorables for each possible location.
* finish high school playing in front of family and friends
* possibly/probably win a state championship
* win one for the Oakland area
* create even more memories with and around individuals he will know the rest of his life
* have no academics concerns about transferable classes/units
* give it back to Castro Valley which defeated BOD twice last season
* enjoy he possibility of an undefeated season
Findlay Prep benefits
* play for a national power
* play alongside other nationally-ranked players (could be a plus or a minus)
* be individually challenged each game
* be individually challenged each practice a la 6-foot-8 Anthony Bennett, 6-foot-8 Winston Shepard, 6-foot-9 Landen Lucas (all of 2012) and 6-foot-8 Benas Griciunas (2013)
So what did we miss in this analysis?
PS: Ashley's sister plays locally (San Jose State) but it's difficult to see that as any decision-altering factor.
At this point, any greater exposure isn't necessary -- Ashley is at the top of the list of any college team he desires.