Friday, October 21, 2011

Coach Williams on three of his NorCal players

Here's UC Santa Barbara Coach Bob Williams, himself a NorCal product (Santa Cruz), talks about some of his players with connections:
This year, having a player who's up for the Wooden Award, makes this luncheon even that much more special of an event for us," Williams said. "I told all the coaches I know, 'Boy, that day Orlando [Johnson] called me on a Sunday afternoon and said, 'Coach, I'm taking my name out of the NBA Draft,' I realized how much smarter I became that day... how I was going to be a much better coach."

Johnson, a 6-foot-5 guard, has led the Gauchos to two straight NCAA Tournaments, winning Big West Conference Tournament MVP honors both years. He averaged 21.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game last season.
and
including returning starter James Nunnally (16.3 points, 5.7 rebounds) ... And fellow senior Greg Somogyi, a 7-3 center, has reportedly grown as a basketball player.

"James is a gifted athlete and has really grown up and has a much greater maturity level now," Williams said. "We're excited about James. 

"And we have Greg Somogyi... He's back, a little bigger, a little stronger, and let's see if he has a bigger presence."

No comments:

Post a Comment