Monday, October 12, 2009

A great checklist

Here's a portion of something we came across that is a must-read from Coach Bob Starkey's HOOP THOUGHTS blog. Anyone wishing to improve his or her basketball IQ, here's a great start on what you need to know about your specific opponent:

Inside Showtime
October 12, 2009

A. Does he play off me with and without the ball?
B. Does he overplay me?
C. Does he turn his head to follow the ball?
D. Does he help out when your teammate drives or becomes free?
E. How does he react on screens?
F. Does he block out on rebounding?
G. Can I drive on him?
H. Can I hit outside on him?
I. Does he protect a particular side on defense?
J. Does he recover fast from offense to defense?
K. Does he like to switch often?
L. Is he aggressive?
M. Does he foul on the drive?
N. Will he retreat because of a fake?
O. Can I stop on the drive and take my jump shot or should I continue all the way.
P. How far out in the backcourt will he play me in a normal position?
Q. Hardly the first and probably as important as any step mentioned -- ss he in shape to produce at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment