Thursday, October 1, 2009

A new Kevin Laue story

It doesn't get much more inspirational than this:
Hoopster born without a left hand gets his chance
Cristian Salazar
Associated Press

Laue isn’t supposed to be here, standing on the court practicing for his first season of Division I basketball.

Born without a left hand, the 6-foot-11 center from Pleasanton, Calif., is now a freshman at Manhattan College, having earned a scholarship to play for the Jaspers and a chance to live out the dream of anyone who has been told they couldn’t play a sport they loved because of a physical defect.

When the Jaspers’ season opens on Nov. 14, the question will not be whether Laue can dribble, pass, block, score or rebound, but whether his opponents will underestimate his skills.

“It’s to my advantage,” said Laue, explaining what it’s like to come onto the floor during a game and face his two-handed opponents. “They think they’re going to have an easy game and just whip on some one-handed kid. But I think I’ve surprised a couple people out there.”

Go here for the remainder.

2 comments:

  1. my son and his team played this young man. they discussed the game on the way home, and thought he was a tough player. Some of the comments I overheard: "He uses that thing like a CLUB man! It hurts!" "He uses it to post up your neck" and "its a no win foul situation, if he gets called you look like a wuss and if you get called its like you're beating up on the one handed kid!" We wish him the absolute BEST OF LUCK. It's a great story

    ReplyDelete
  2. His story is definitely inspiring. I'll have the chance to see him play next month when Manhattan takes on Rider. I'll be hoping Rider wins the game but I also hope he plays well. It should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete