Friday, October 30, 2009

A Josh Akognon update

Here's some news on former Casa Grande basketball star Josh Akognon, courtesy of Bob Padecky's blog:

Josh Akognon to play in Europe
Bob Padecky
Santa Rosa Press-Democrat
October 22, 2009

Former Casa Grande star Josh Akognon will be flying Friday to Estonia to begin an 8-month stint for the professional basketball team in the city of Kalev-Cramo.

Akognon, who starred for Cal State Fullerton, went undrafted but had tryouts with five NBA teams: Warriors, Lakers, Kings, Spurs and Trail Blazers.

“I was told that I was an NBA player but that I needed some more experience,” said Akognon, a 5-foot-11 guard. “I also was told that the team in Estonia is one of the top European teams and playing well there would really help me.”

Akognon was not sure what his salary would be but that, at a minimum it’s $5,000 a month.

plus, a bit more from Padecky:

Oh yes, Josh also got married

Josh Akognon called me back Thursday to add, “I got married on Sept. 5.”

Akognon, headed to Europe for pro ball, met Arianna Scales when they both attended Washington State. Both of them played basketball for the Cougars and they were both point guards.

Both also moved to get degrees at other universities, Josh in Afro Ethnic Studies at Cal State Fullerton and Ariana in Sports Management from Washburn University in Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment