Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Martin returns home

Add Miles Martin's name to the list of those who left the comfort and security of home in order to better themselves in their chosen field. Also add him to the tally of those who succeeded.

Martin recently received NCAA clearance and will be an active member of the 2013-14 San Jose State University basketball team. He will add another big body -- 6-foot-10, 240 pounds -- to the Spartan roster

So how did all of this come about?

"I played two years at Homestead High [in Cupertino, beginning his sophomore year]." This was at 220 pounds and also versus nobody near his size as there is a dearth of bigs throughout Santa Clara County.

"With the aid of my AAU Coach Nelson Washington," Martin transferred to Westwind Prep in Phoenix where he faced better competition in practice than he did during the season back home.

Westwind is well known for getting prospects to the DI level.

Asked what his goals were upon arriving in Phoenix, Martin said, "better my grade point average, face better competition and get stronger.

Mixing sports metaphors, he went three for three. He actually got to 255 pounds at one point but has reduced that by 15.

So what will be be bringing to SJSU basketball? "My size and a low post presence who can play with his back to the basket and score with both hands." It's been some time since that appeared for the home team at Walt McPherson Court.

It was last year's coaching staff that began the initial pursuit of Martin but he credits "Coach Washington in helping keep the new staff interested." He also calls Washington his biggest basketball influence because "he noticed me at Homestead and brought me on to his AAU team."

What's interesting to keep in mind is that fellow Mountain West Conference member Nevada extended an offer for Martin to redshirt there next season "but I had more contact with Coach Wojcik and Coach Kennedy" and that communication turned the tide to SJSU's favor.

While he isn't sure of his major just yet but he has interest in sports medicine and physical therapy.

Ask to recall his best basketball moment, Martin offered, "It was in the summer league of my junior year, we were down by eight and a teammates threw me a lob pass that I dunked and got an andone. Nobody expected it and we came back to win that game."

So why basketball for Martin and not some other sport? "I played every sport but I was tired at the end of each season of every one but basketball. It was a passion for me and I never needed or wanted a break."

No comments:

Post a Comment