Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Meet Chris Bene

The name Chris Bene could easily be mistaken as one of the earlier top finishers on "The X Factor" but that would be the wrong platform and skills set. Try a talented basketball player formerly of Sequoia High and now a freshman at Cañada College. He may not be nationally known yet but if effort, focus and understanding, combined with excellent athletic ability, are the pathways to excellence, then the 6-foot-7 Bene is on his way.

"Chris is learning how to play tougher, more aggressive everyday," offered Cañada Coach Mike Reynoso. "He is skilled, but I have told him many times how good he can be will depend on toughness."

To date, Bene is averaging 9.2 points and 5.2 rebounds while shooting 48%, 41% and 65% shooting respectively with the Colts. This after being a first-team all-Peninsula Athletic League honoree in both his junior and senior seasons.

Bene chose Cañada for three reasons -- "they had a great season last year, it was a good fit for me and close to home, and I knew I could develop here."

Actually make that four. "I was a four in high school and now I'm a three because I can make more of an impact at guard. I've always been athletic and we're working on my ballhandling and shooting to craft my skills to fit at the college level." Reynoso, who is known for his skill/player development, explained, "Chris has come a long way this season. When he first got here, and throughout about  half of season, he did not know what it took to play at this level. Once the half way point hit, it started to click. He has been more consistent of late.

According to Bene, "I can do a little bit of everything and I'm learning how to be consistent from game-to-game. I need to work on my defense because I want to defend the best [opposing] player because, to make the jump, coaches look at defense more than anything else. My high school coach [Fine Lauese] stressed defense because you won't play if you can't defend."

Regarding leadership, he offered, "I'm not the most vocal person, but watch my attitude on the court."

There's no doubt he gets it. "It's a matter of translating from practice into the game. Your minutes will be taken if you don't show up every day."

No comments:

Post a Comment