Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Meet Rodrigo Puliceno

There's Oscar Schmidt and Leandro Barbosa. Plus, Nenê, Anderson Varejão, Tiago Splitter and others as not everyone in Brazil is zoned in on soccer -- actually make that futebol. No, some have chosen the hardwood instead and that includes Cañada College's Rodrigo Puliceno.

Out of Burlingame High and a native of Rio de Janeiro, the 6-foot-5 Puliceno could be labeled the glue guy for the Colts but that's not thorough enough. Yes, he welcomes any challengers at center whether they be of his height or quite often larger and he is still averaging 13.4 points per game on 52%, 42% and 74% shooting respectively, alongside 10.4 boards and 2.7 assists. There's also his versatility. "I can shoot the three, really like to play defense and I can guard anyone from the two to the five," according to Puliceno.

"Rodrigo is one of the best competitors I have ever coached," Cañada Coach Mike Reynoso offered. "Not only is he a great basketball player, he is even a better person.  For me, I'm most proud of Rodrigo and who he has become since he has been here at Cañada. He will graduate in May with his A.A, which was a far-fetched notion to him when I first met him."

But there has been a role change for Puliceno this season as Manny Martin, Crisshawn Clark, Rondell Goodwin and others, critical components to the Colts' 2014-15 success, have all moved on to four year schools.

"Last year, I didn't have to score a lot," Puliceno offered. "I was more of a role player, providing some offense. This year, I'm scoring more because we need it. I've played inside my whole life but I think I'll be at the four and the three at the level."

He did play soccer back in Brazil "but it didn't work out." He almost went in the direction of football when he came to this country -- imagine him barreling at you as a tight end or, on the other side of the ball, as a linebacker? "But my stepdad showed me how to play basketball when I was nine." Thus, roundball won out over the pigskin.

A communications major, it's important timing vis-a-vis recruiting that he'll have that A.A. degree on time. He would like to eventually enter the business world maybe in the clothing field.

Puliceno cites two moments as his best in basketball thus far. "Getting to the Final Four last year," an event that marked Cañada going from 5-22 to a 24-7 record. "When we started the season, there was no talk of the playoffs." The other is "beating City at their house" which took place on January 26 of last year, a 105-96 victory.

Versatile, tough, multi-skilled and with a willingness to do whatever is best for the team -- which D1 teams are looking for just such a package?

No comments:

Post a Comment