Monday, November 23, 2015

Claus on fire

Yes, it's only November but the gifting by Justin Claus has already started in spectacular fashion. Try a package of 24 points including six treys plus four assists versus Simpson, 28 points, including eight threes, against Skyline plus 13 and three in a matchup with Sacramento City for the 6-foot College of the Redwoods sophomore.

His shooting accuracy and scoring efficiency thus far early in the season have called for dramatic defensing by opponents as Claus has faced both a box-and-one as well as faceguarding in attempts to lessen his effect.

"I've always felt like shooting has been a strong point for me," Claus explained. "In high school, all four years on varsity, I was a true point who could shoot but, once at CR, I've been a two guard, a shooting guard pretty much. When I came here, Johnny Shelton was at the point and an all conference player."

While many were enjoying the sunshine and warm temperatures over last summer, Claus was putting purposeful time in at the gym. "I'm always working on my shot. Over the summer, my routine was to begin shooting 50 times two feet from the basket."

He would then work his way away from the hoop. "I would do the same thing at different spots on the floor." This would last 90 minutes.

There has also been the use of a shooting guru of sorts. "I watch a Ray Allen video on shooting." That's someone who played 20 years in the NBA and shot 40% from three-point range in his career.

All this effort has demonstrably paid off so much so that "this year, I can tell when it's [the ball] going in and I can tell why when I miss a shot."

Claus also has a pre-game shooting routine "if there is time but sometimes I have to cut in half or quarters, especially when traveling." The Corsairs have enjoyed but one home game thus far.

About adjustments he has made since the jump from high school, Claus offered, "I'm not the most athletic but I've become more of a shooter and a pretty good point guard."

What he has noticed with junior college competition is "you have to focus much longer, the speed of the game is much faster and everyone here is athletic, there's nobody who doesn't deserve to be here. I'm a smart player and I see the game quicker now, seeing things before they happen."

He also is stepping up his leadership in 2015-16. "We had three sophomores last year so this season I'm more of a leader. I feel confident."

Claus sports a 3.0 grade point average.

No comments:

Post a Comment