Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tyler Gaffaney is ready to rip

There are early bloomers, right-as-expected-timers, late flourishers and non-starters in all manner of athletics and former Branson High basketball player Tyler Gaffaney has broken down door #3 and is now ready to make his mark.

Gaffaney was a solid player during his time at Branson, strong on fundamentals but not necessarily seen as on a breakthrough trajectory. He signed with Coach Ken Scalmanini and the Claremont - Mudd - Scripps program.

Coming from a very successful prep program, he landed with another as the Stags have earned league championships in six of the past 10 seasons, including both seasons Gaffaney has been on the roster..

After playing as a freshman, the 6-foot-3 Gaffaney and his teammates repeated this past season with him performing as a full-time starter averaging 10.4 points and 4.3 rebounds a game, on 52%, 44% and 75% shooting while playing point and shooting guard. Claremont - Mudd - Scripps lost 76-74 in overtime to then defending national champion St. Thomas in the first round of the D-III national playoffs.

Regarding the difference in his game between now and high school, Gaffaney said, "I was more a slasher in high school and now I'm a lot stronger and a better three-point and pullup shooter."

He added, "I've continued to work hard. I've always had a feel for the game and I'm able to absorb information quickly and that has helped. It's been a fun ride and it's coming together now.".

Alongside his effort, what also facilitated his development was Gaffaney was connecting with Santa Rosa area skills trainer Jeremy Russotti. "I did his camps earlier but started working out individually with him after high school and that has made all the difference."

Russotti was effusive about his protege.
 
 "Tyler epitomizes the type of player we like to train in our GRT program. He has worked side-by-side with Josh Akognon for the past two and a half years. He started as a sparring type player and now he is one of our top guys. His footwork is absolutely perfect and he does exactly what you teach. It is rare to have a client who trusts everything you say and implements your teachings immediately.
 

I applaud him for staying with the school he loves but I do not see him as a D-III player. He could play for most D-I programs right now and fit in. He is far more skilled and a better player than most D-I guys who come train with us. When pro guys or college guys come in to workout, the first thing we do is match them up against Tyler. 10 out of 10 times, Tyler will beat them one-on-one. Afterwards, most of these guys ask him which pro team he plays for. It's comical.
 
But Tyler is not only a great player -- he is a model student, hard worker, and displays a great attitude at anything he does. He recently started to work for us since he is such a great teacher and really understands skill mastery and development and how to relate to people.
 
I always love to hear when Josh tells me that Tyler is probably the best defender he has ever gone against. Josh also believes that Tyler has a professional career ahead of him and has the game to show.

The next evolution for Tyler is to believe he is the toughest guy to guard on the court and that he is the man! He has been a role guy since his days at Branson and always fit that perfectly. Now he needs to take what he learned and become the go-to-guy on the offensive end. Once he realizes he is the best player on the floor, he will become an All-American."

As Russotti mentioned above, one of Gaffaney's early strengths is a facet often given the short shrift on the court.

"I grew up focusing more on defense rather than offense, and my offense was secondary earlier in my career" Gaffaney explained. "So i've always made sure to work hard and improve on the defensive end of the floor as well as the offensive end because I've always believed defense to be very important."

Akognon offers an amen here: "Tyler is the best defender I have ever played against, including NBA guys I have gone against."

Now the burgeoning upperclassman is ready for a breakout season.

Let's have Akognon elucidate: "Tyler is going to explode this next year and he has the potential to play somewhere at the next level. He is the hardest working guy I know outside of my friends who are professionals. Tyler should be at a D-1 school hands down."

Gaffaney returned the kudos.

"Taking on Josh, he's one of those guys you can't really stop. I try to stay close because of his jumper but I also need to stay strong when he goes to the hoop."

Gaffaney wasn't recruited by D-1 schools as a prep senior and his decision to go with Claremont - Mudd - Scripps was instigated by both the high level of academics and because Bob Donlan, his former Branson coach, played there.

So are there moments where he ponders the possibility of changing and challenging talent at higher levels?

"No, I love my school, my coach and my friends there."

But whatever the level of competition, such isn't keeping him from wanting to remain connected to hoops.

The psychology and economics dual major said, "I would love to keep playing basketball and do it for a living. When Father Time taps me on the shoulder and says it's time to end, then coaching is something I'll look at."

But first comes two more seasons collegiately

Plus of course, more work dedicated to improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment